Have you and your family discussed long-term care?
Consider this about long-term care:
- Medicare doesn't cover most long-term care expenses.
- Medicaid covers only nursing-home care once a person has depleted his or her own assets to poverty levels.
- The nationwide average cost for a private room in an assisted living facility is $4,000 per month.*
- The nationwide average cost for a private room in a nursing home is more than $100,000 per year.*
- Care at home can range from $42,000 to more than $100,000 per year, depending on the location and the level of care needed.
Actual cost of care will vary in each state. View the most recent cost of care in your state.
*According to the Genworth 2019 Cost of Care Survey